Abros (ΑΒΡΟΣ) – tender
Algesidōros (ΑΛΓΕΣΙΔΩΡΟΣ) – pain inducer
Anikatos (ΑΝΙΚΑΤΟΣ) – irresistible
Bromios – (βρωμιωσ) “Thunderer”
Diphuēs (ΔΙΦΥΗΣ) – dual in nature or form
Eleutherios (ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΙΟΣ) – the liberator
Kallistos (ΚΑΛΛΙΣΤΟΣ) – the fairest
Lusimelēs (ΛΥΣΙΜΕΛΗΣ) – limb-loosener
Phanes (Φανης) – Bring to Light
Protogenōs (ΠΡΟΤΟΓΕΝΩΣ) – First Born
Puridromos/Pyridromos (ΠΥΡΙΔΡΟΜΟΣ) – who runs on a path of fire
Skhetlios (ΣΧΕΤΛΙΟΣ) – cruel, merciless
Takeros (ΤΑΚΈΡΟΣ) – melting, languishing
Sappho also gave Him the epithets of “bittersweet”, “from heaven”, and “a crawling beast”.
His name in the Boeotian tongue, an Aeolic dialect, was Arpus. Some have also connected His name to the word Harpaleos, from the Homeric tongue of Aeolic, meaning “attractive,” and also “devouring”.
- A basic introduction of Eros
- How did I become first aware of Eros?
- Symbols and icons of Eros
- A favorite myth or myths of Eros
- Members of the family – genealogical connections
- Other related deities and entities associated with Eros
- Names and epithets
- Variations on this deity (aspects, regional forms, etc.)
- Common mistakes about this deity
- Offerings – historical and UPG
- Festivals, days, and times sacred to this deity
- Places associated with this deity and their worship
- What modern cultural issues are closest to this deity’s heart?
- Has worship of this deity changed in modern times?
- Any mundane practices that are associated with this deity?
- How do you think this deity represents the values of their pantheon and cultural origins?
- How does this deity relate to other gods and other pantheons?
- How does this deity stand in terms of gender and sexuality? (historical and/or UPG)
- What quality or qualities of this god do you most admire? What quality or qualities of them do you find the most troubling?
- Art that reminds you of this deity
- Music that makes you think of this deity
- A quote, a poem, or piece of writing that you think this deity resonates strongly with
- Your own composition – a piece of writing about or for this deity
- A time when this deity has helped you
- A time when this deity has refused to help
- How has your relationship with this deity changed over time?
- Worst misconception about this deity that you have encountered
- Something you wish you knew about this deity but don’t currently
- Any interesting or unusual UPG to share?
- Any suggestions for others just starting to learn about this deity?